Thursday, February 16, 2012

MYSTERIES AMONG US #8

Diana Renn: As I've mentioned on Mysteries Among Us before, I'm fascinated by guerrilla artists. So many mysteries are about things or people that disappear, so it's refreshing to find stories of things that mysteriously appear, and in unlikely places. Here's a gentle guerrilla artist -- or guerrilla gardener, I should say -- creating tiny pockets of mystery in London: The Pothole Gardener. Potholes and uneven pavement are transformed into miniature garden scenes. I especially love the videos the gardener posts, demonstrating how he does these small creations, as well as how people react to stumbling across these horticultural mini-mysteries in their day-to-day life.



Talia Vance:  Petunia, a female pit bull terrier, ran out towards the barn of her family's alpaca farm in Virginia one peaceful morning in 2003, along with her two canine companions.  Her companions returned to the house without Petunia. The family put out missing dog signs and searched nearby areas but as winter came and went, they gave up hope of ever finding their beloved pet.  Fast forward eight years and 2700 miles to a hiking trail in the Sierra Nevadas in December 2011.  A hiker is approached by a stray dog, a pit bull wagging her tail.  The dog is taken to a veterinarian and a microchip identifies the dog as Petunia.  Petunia was reunited with her family and returned to the family alpaca farm.  How did Petunia get to California?  Where did she spend the last eight years?  Petunia's life is a mystery.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post - I can't imagine a pothole gardener in NYC but you never know. I love those mystery dog stories and always wonder what the dog's life was like after they disappeared. Whatever Petunia's mystery life was, I hope she had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool post--and I'm glad to have discovered this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a horticultural mini-mystery in my life. I think that's so completely awesome. And I'm a huge dog lover. I love petunia!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...