Thursday, September 8, 2011

Under Cover #1


We're going undercover to find some great reads! Check out some of the titles we've been investigating lately:




 
Kristen Kittscher:
I'm reading The Stone Child, Dan Poblocki’s first book. What a suspenseful read! It takes me back to the best of John Bellairs. Thirteen year old Eddie Frenzer and his parents move to a remote town where his favorite horror author once lived, only to realize the monsters in the books aren’t so fictional after all. While the book is middle grade, it’s scary enough that it’s best for slightly older readers. Dan has a series out for younger middle grade readers that’s also fantastic: The Mysterious Four. Rumor has it he may be interviewed in our Interrogation Room this fall…




 
Talia Vance:
 I’m reading Clarity, by Kim Harrington (YA). Psychic Clarity Fern must find out who killed a teenage tourist to clear her brother. She's aided by the hot son of a detective and her ex-boyfriend. A fun mystery with a supernatural twist and just enough romantic tension.






L.R. Giles:
L.R. Giles:
I’m reading Reality Check, by Peter Abrahams. It’s a great YA mystery, though the mystery factor doesn’t come until later in the book.







 
Diana Renn:
I’m reading Stealing Rembrandts: The Untold Stories of Notorious Art Heists, by Anthony M. Amore and Tom Mashberg. I'm addicted to nonfiction books about art theft in general, and the famous Gardner Museum heist in particular. I've just started this book, which was co-authored by the head of security at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston. So far it's a fascinating look at how black market art works, and the many motives and methods of art criminals.
 



W.H. Beck:
I’m in the midst of This Dark Endeavor: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein by Kenneth Oppel. It's a prequel of sorts to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I love the tension between the teen characters, especially the love/hate relationship Victor has with his twin brother Konrad.






Elisa Ludwig:
I'm reading Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. I was inspired after seeing him speak at SCBWI. It's not a mystery per se but the story of a boy stuck in the woods after a plane crash is definitely suspenseful! He's a master at using the rhythm of his language to evoke an emotional response in the reader.
I'm in the midst of This Dark Endeavor: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein by Kenneth Oppel. It's a prequel of sorts to Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN. I love the tension between the teen characters, especially the love/hate relationship Victor has with his twin brother Konrad.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention! I'm so excited for this blog. Yay mystery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim! You're on our list, and you're wanted for questioning! Your summons is arriving soon . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. The art heist book looks cool. I read that book on the Gardner Heist and visited the museum for research for my time travel MG that involves the G. Heist. Did you know that one of the prime suspects - Whitey Bulger was arrested this past year? Maybe we'll find the stolen paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful blog! I'm working on MG mysteries at the moment :)
    Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura - yes, I was following the Whitey Bulger arrest with great interest. It will be interesting to see if that shakes anything loose on the Gardner heist case. Your time travel mystery involving that heist sounds really interesting -- and what a great excuse to visit the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum! Keep us posted on your mystery please! Charmaine, thanks and welcome to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana, my sister made a film about the Gardner heist called Stolen. I just went there for the first time last spring and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...