Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Little Twist

In an age of constant information sharing, twist endings still have the power to thrill and surprise us. Leaving your reader with a rug-pulling (yet always well earned) culmination can be the difference between a three-star rating and a review with an exclamation point. (I can't promise it will always be a positive review, but hey, the more punctuation the better, right?)



I'm learning this now firsthand that PRETTY SLY has been out for almost two months. The main reaction I'm getting back from readers is "Wow! I never saw that ending coming!"

As the author, it feels good to know that I could take my readers on a true adventure with an unpredictable destination, no matter how they felt about the particulars.

So when considering where to take your mystery, don't be afraid to get it twisted. Go ahead and turn the whole thing upside down. You and your reader will be glad you did.

P.S. I previously wrote about the pressure around and considerations for writing a satisfying ending here.

P.P.S. Cartoon courtesy of Aranel-Nenharma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...